Wednesday 13 February 2013

MUA Review

Obviously, if you're a lover of all things beauty and an avid YouTube watcher and blog reader, then you will know of the cheap yet 'brilliant quality' make up brand MUA (Make Up Academy). I put 'brilliant quality' in inverted commas because I'm not so sure...

MUA Glamour Days Eyeshadow Palette £4, MUA Shade 29 - Pearl Eyeshadow £1, MUA Shade 8 Lipstick £1

First the palette, MUA have a number of palettes to choose from and some of their neutral palettes are so pretty but I liked this one because it had beautiful neutral shades mixed with bright popping colours which I thought was quite cute. I think the pinky peachy shade is gorgeous as a base colour and also pretty darn good as a highlighter. 

I'd heard that these eyeshadows were quite pigmented though, and they are to a fair extent but they fade pretty quickly throughout the day and by late afternoon the various colours that you've put on your eye have all blended together into one colour. This I think is a bit of a swiz because it still happens even with concealer and primer underneath it.  





 But then, lo and behold, I was having one of those 'I quite fancy buying some more make up even though I don't really need it' days (don't we all!) and found this beautiful beautiful olive green colour with subtle gold shimmer. I absolutely fell in love with it but it baffles me that the colour is weaker when used over a primer (primer used: Benefit The Porefessional Primer). If absolutely packed on, the colour is pretty pigmented and looks lovely but I think I'll just stick to buying rare looking colours from MUA because I think it is easy to find other neutral colours of better quality.


I've also heard about the lipsticks and being a ridiculous lover of lipstick, (it becomes inappropriate at times!) I thought I'd try one. I don't like nudes much, I seem to think if you're going to show off your lips why not use a bright bold colour!? Plus I can never be bothered to look for one that actually matches my skin tone! Lazy chops. So I chose this sassy pinky red colour. Having seen swatches I was quite looking forward to it and really wanted to like it but there is an insane amount of gold glitter in it. So much so that the application is scratchy and is almost abrasive on the lips. I love the colour but lipsticks should feel luxurious and smooth as you coat your lips in them not as if you're rubbing a loofah all over your lips. I thoroughly recommend using a lipliner underneath though, not only will that make the colour last longer and bolder but it also prevents the glitter from scratching your lips so you can still enjoy the colour.

MUA is quite a nice wee brand, I'm excited to try their blushes as I've heard great things about them too and to be honest for the prices these make up items are very cute and cheap enough so that you can mess around with them a lot and enjoy creating different looks. I actually think the packaging is not that bad and to be honest the pigment in the eyeshadows is a lot better than some higher end high street brands. A fun cheap brand that's fairly good quality and allows you to have fun and experiment for lovely luscious low prices. (Ooft steady on with that alliteration!) 

Take care x  






No comments:

Post a Comment